Use fresh Momen Tofu or medium soft type Tofu to achieve crispy outside and soft inside. For the sauce, use your favourite Asian mushrooms as much as you like. Today I used Shiitake and Shimeji. This dish is so good!!!
3 to 4 Servings
500g Fresh Momen Tofu *OR medium soft Tofu
Potato Starch Flour
Oil for frying
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 cup Dashi Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
100g Shiitake, Shimeji or Enoki *OR add as much as you like
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
4 tablespoons Mirin
1 teaspoon Potato Starch *mixed with 2 teaspoons Water
- Place Tofu on slightly tilted cutting board or plate with a flat-base dish or board as a weight on top, and set aside for 1/2 hour so that excess water would be removed.
- Prepare Mushrooms. Slice Shiitake, or tear Shimeji and cut Enoki into smaller pieces.
- Place Dashi, Soy Sauce and Mirin into a saucepan, add Mushrooms and cook until Mushrooms are soft. Mix Potato Starch with Water and add it to the sauce gradually until the sauce thickens.
- Heat oil to 180℃. Cut Tofu into about 4-5cm size, coat with Potato Starch, and fry until light golden. Drain on a rack or paper towel.
- Place Tofu in a bowl and cover with hot mushroom sauce. Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and serve.