When I want to use up the leftover egg yolks, I often make custard desserts. This is one of them. Some recipes say we should cook the egg yolks with milk, but I don’t cook. Because the hot milk added to the egg yolk mixture will cook the egg yolk. This Basic Bavarois is best to serve with fresh berries or berry sauce. I always stock bags of Mixed Berries in my freezer. They are extremely handy. The berry sauce can be made by just heating up those frozen berries with a little bit of sugar.
4 to 6 Servings
Milk 1 cup
Sugar 1/4 cup
Egg Yolks 2 to 3
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
Gelatine Powder 2 teaspoons
Water 2 tablespoons
Cream 200ml *whipped
Mixed Berry Sauce
Frozen/Fresh Mixed Berries 1 cup
Caster Sugar 1 tablespoon
Liquor of your choice (eg. Cointreau or Grand Marnier) 1 tablespoon *optional
- Sprinkle Gelatine Powder into Water in a small bowl and soak.
- Heat Milk in a saucepan over medium heat and bring just to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Add soaked Gelatine to the heated Milk and mix well until gelatine dissolves.
- Place Egg Yolks, Sugar and Vanilla in a large heatproof bowl, and whisk until thick and pale. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Let it cool.
- When the mixture is cool and started thickening, add whipped Cream and mix to combine well.
- Pour the mixture into glasses or jelly moulds. Place them in the fridge and leave to set.
- To make the mixed berry sauce, place all ingredients in a heatproof bowl and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool completely.