I am writing this recipe for my son and other novice cooks like him. Beef mince is not expensive and meatballs are easy to cook. If you make the mixture into large rounds, you can make hamburgers. If you don’t have Panko Breadcrumbs, just toast 1 to 2 slices of bread, break them and you can add the broken pieces of bread to the mixture. Thyme and Parsley can be replaced by other herbs. Be flexible and creative, and enjoy cooking.
Beef Mince 500g
Onion 3/4 *medium size Onion, 1/4 is used for Gravy
Garlic 1 clove *finely chopped
Thyme Leaves 1/2 tablespoon *fresh Thyme recommended
Parsley 2 tablespoons *finely chopped
Panko Breadcrumbs 1/2 cup
Salt 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
Freshly Cracked Pepper
Olive Oil 1 tablespoon *This is to cook meatballs, don’t mix with mince!
Olive Oil 1 tablespoon
Mushrooms 5 to 6 *cleaned and sliced
Beef Stock 500ml
Salt & Pepper
Potato Starch Flour OR Cornflour (Cornstarch) 1 tablespoon *mixed with 2 tablespoons Cold Water
- Here comes the hardest part first. Chopping the Onion! If you don’t want to cry, use a very sharp knife. You need to chop up very finely. Save 1/4 for Gravy.
- Place finely chopped Onion, Beef Mince, and other ingredients, except Oil, in a large bowl. Mix all thoroughly with your clean hands.
- Roll the mixture into 2 to 3cm size meatballs.
- Heat Olive Oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the meatballs until browned all over. Place them on a plate and set aside.
*Note: Meatballs should be cooked by the time they are browned all over. If doubt, break one and check.
- Add extra Olive Oil to the frying pan that you used to cook meatballs, add finely chopped Onion and cook until browned. Add sliced Mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are browned. By the time, Onion should be dark-browned.
- Add Beef Stock and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with Salt & Pepper. The reason why I don’t write the amount of Salt & Pepper is because it depends on the saltiness of the Beef Stock you use and your preference. Check the flavour of the gravy and add Salt & Pepper as required.
- Stir the Starch Flour and Water mixture to mix well, then add into the gravy, a little at a time, stirring well, until the gravy thickens as required. Probably you DO NOT need to use all mixture.
- Serve the Meatballs with Mashed Potatoes.