I love the chocolate flavoured butter bean paste that I made for Chocolate Truffles. So I used the paste as filling for this Roll Cake for my health-conscious daughter. You wouldn’t know the filling is canned butter beans. It’s absolutely delicious!
Swiss Roll Pan
Caster Sugar 1/4 cup (or up to 1/2 cup for sweeter cake)
Plain Flour 1/2 cup
Cocoa Powder 1/4 cup
Butter 20g *melted
Canned Butter Beans 200g
*You get about 200g Beans from a 400g can.
Caster Sugar 1/4 cup
Cocoa Powder 2 tablespoons
Rum 1 to 2 teaspoons *optional but recommended!
Milk or Soy Milk 1 to 2 tablespoons *optional
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line the base and sides of a Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the Eggs and Sugar and make the mixture very thick and pale. Sift the combined Flour and Cocoa Powder over the egg mixture, and fold gently. Add melted Butter and mix to just combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is dry to the touch.
- To make the filling, rinse Butter Beans well, place all Butter Beans into a food processor or blender and make them into paste. Add Sugar (and pinch of salt if Butter Beans are unsalted), Cocoa Powder, Rum, then process until it gets smooth paste texture. Adjust the thickness by adding Milk.
- Place the sponge onto a clean work surface and peel the baking paper, but do not remove the paper. Spread the filling over the sponge, whichever side you prefer, then roll sponge to enclose filling using the paper.