One of my favourite summer desserts is ‘Coffee Jelly’ which is very popular in Japan. It was quite hot yesterday and I had a craving for it. It is very easy to make. You only need ‘Good Strong Coffee’ and ‘Gelatine’. I recommend to make your Coffee stronger than usual for the jelly. Icy cold aromatic ‘Coffee Jelly’ with Cream and Syrup… you really should try it! *Note: You can find the Vegetarian version Coffee Jelly recipe here.
400ml Good Strong Coffee
2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
2 tablespoons Water
*Note: You may wish to add Sugar to make the jelly sweet.
The basic ratio of Gelatine Powder to liquid is 2g to 100ml. Most common Gelatine Powder weighs 4g per teaspoonful. So, for 1 coffee-cup of coffee (200ml), you need 1 teaspoon of Gelatine. It’ s easy to remember, isn’t it?
- Sprinkle Gelatine Powder evenly over 2 tablespoons of Water in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Make good strong coffee. *Note: Add Sugar to suit your taste.
- Add Gelatine mixture to hot coffee and mix well. If coffee is not hot, you need to heat the paste in a microwave for 10 second or until it turns to liquid, then add it to the coffee.
- Pour the jelly mixture into the serving glasses. Skim off any surface bubbles if you wish. When cool enough, place them in the fridge and leave to set.
- Serve with Cream and Syrup (if the jelly is not sweet). *Syrup can be easily made by mixing ‘1/2 cup Water & 1/4 cup Sugar’ in a saucepan and cook for a few minutes until slightly thick.