The ‘Cream Cheese Mousse’ and the ‘Super Easy Chocolate Mousse’ can be an individual cake on your favourite base, but I made them into this double layered cake for a special occasion. Everyone enjoyed its melting texture of two different flavours.
18 or 20cm Round Springform Cake Tin
Choco Ripple Biscuits OR sweet biscuits of your choice 125g
Butter (or Coconut Oil) 50g *melted
*Note: Very dry low-fat chocolate biscuits need more moisture. Add 1-2 tablespoons Cream, Milk or extra Butter.
2. Cream Cheese Mousse
Cream Cheese 125g *softened
Lemmon Juice 1 tablespoon
Egg Yolks 2
Caster Sugar 2 to 3 tablespoons
Thickened Cream 1/4 cup *whipped
Gelatin 2 teaspoons (6g)
Boiling Water 2 tablespoons
Egg Whites 2 *whipped
3. Super Easy Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate 200g *chopped
Cream 300ml *whipped
Rum or your favourite liquor 1 tablespoon *optional
- Line a springform cake tin base and sides with baking paper.
- Process Choco Ripple Biscuits until mixture crumbled to fine crumbs. Mix with melted butter for the base and press into the prepared tin. Refrigerate while you are making ‘Cream Cheese Mousse’.
- Sprinkle Gelatine over Boiling Water in a small bowl and whisk until gelatine is dissolved.
- Prepare 3 separate bowls.
Bowl 1: Egg White
Bowl 2: Egg Yolks & Caster Sugar
Bowl 3 (large bowl): Soften Cream Cheese
- Use an electric mixer or a hand whisk to whisk the Egg Whites (Bowl 1) until soft peaks form. Using the same mixer, beat Egg Yolks & Caster Sugar (Bowl 2) until pale and thick, add Cream and whip well.
- Add Lemon Juice to the softened Cream Cheese (Bowl 3), mix using the same mixer until smooth. Then add Egg Yolk mixture, keep mixing.
- Gradually add Gelatine until well combined.
- Finally fold in whipped Egg Whites and combine well. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, while you are washing bowls and making ‘Chocolate Mousse’.
- To make ‘Chocolate Mousse’, you need a heatproof bowl and another bowl.
Bowl 1 (heatproof): Chocolate
Bowl 2: Cream
- Place Chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a metal spoon until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Fold the whipped Cream and the liquor into the Chocolate and mix well. Pour the Chocolate mixture over the Cream Cheese Mousse. Smooth the surface, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Dust with Cocoa Powder and serve.