When I was a little girl, this soup (Egg only!) frequently appeared on our family’s dinner table. My family was poor, but my sisters and I always ate nutritious meals. I credit my mother for that, and Eggs must have been a great source of protein for her to cook. Today I added Prawns to add extra flavour to the soup as I used instant Dashi powder. Quality of the stock is important for this simple soup.
4 cups Dashi Stock *See ‘Dashi Stock’ page
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
8 Prawns *thawed if frozen
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
- Heat Dashi Stock (OR Water & Dashi Powder) in a large saucepan or a pot. If you use Dashi Powder, use a good quality one. You would need 2 teaspoons Dashi Powder for 4 cups Water, OR use according to the instruction on the package.
- Season the soup with Salt and Soy Sauce.
- Crack an Egg into a small cup and carefully add it to the gently simmering soup. Repeat with remaining Eggs.
- When Eggs are softly cooked, add Prawns, and cook for a few minutes or until Prawns are cooked. It won’t take long. *Note: Cooking time depends on how softly you want to cook Egg Yolks.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onions and serve.