When I wanted to make Fish Cakes on the other day, I couldn’t be bothered with cooking Mashed Potato to make them. ‘Why can’t I make Fish Cakes with Flour?’, I thought. And I tried. It was easy, collapse-free, and delicious. This ‘Easy Fish Cakes’ are basically savoury pancakes. Great for dinner, and children would love them. Or you can make small cakes that would be a perfect party finger-food.
500g White Fish Offcuts OR Fillets (Frozen OR Fresh) *cod, whiting, etc.
1/2 cup Milk
1 Bay Leaf
1 Onion *finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley *OR Dill, Chives, Spring Onion, etc.
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
Oil for cooking
Parsley Cream Sauce
1 heaped tablespoon (20g) Flour
Milk that is used to cook Fish *You would need about 200ml
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley
- Heat Fish, Milk and Bay Leaf in a frying pan over high heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for a few minutes or until Fish are cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cooled (*warm is fine) Fish to a large bowl and flake coarsely using a fork. *Note: Do not waste the Milk, that can be used to make ‘Parsley Cream Sauce’.
- Add Onion, Herb, Egg, Salt and White Pepper, and mix to combine. Add Self-Raising Flour and combine. Add extra 1-2 tablespoons if required.
- Heat a generous amount of Oil in a frying pan over medium low heat, and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through. *Note: Cook them in the same way as cooking pancakes.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.
- How to make ‘Parsley Sauce’: Melt Butter in a small saucepan. Add Flour and stir using a wooden spoon until smooth. Gradually add the reserved Milk, stirring constantly, until desired thickness is achieved. Add some finely chopped Parsley leaves and mix well.