Eggnog is a special drink for the festive season. I am not a big fan of sweet alcoholic drinks, but Eggnog is an exception. I wanted to make it by myself, but all the recipes that I had found were for 8 servings or 12 servings or a big number. I wanted to make a small batch, in a proper way. Then I created my own recipe.
3 to 4 Servings
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cream
2-3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Egg Yolks
1 tablespoons Caster Sugar
4 tablespoons Brandy and/or Rum *OR liquor of your choice
2 Egg Whites
Grated Nutmeg *optional
- Combine Milk, Cream, Sugar and Vanilla in a saucepan, and heat over a medium heat. When it started boiling, remove from heat.
- Place Egg Yolks and 1 tablespoon Sugar in a a bowl, use a whisk to beat until sugar is well dissolved. Then slowly whisk in the milk mixture until smooth. *Note: The temperature of the milk mixture should be over 70C which is quite hot.
- Add Brandy and/or Rum, and mix. Cool in the fridge.
- Beat Egg Whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold into chilled eggnog and combine well. *Alternatively, you blend the Egg Whites and eggnog in a blender.
- Serve with grated Nutmeg if you like, but I like it without Nutmeg.