I love my ‘1-Hour Focaccia’ recipe. When I am not in a hurry, I don’t add Baking Powder to the dough. On the other day, when I was about to make Cheesy Focaccia using the recipe, I decided to sandwich the cheese instead of topping it on the bread, so that I could cook it with a grill pan as my oven was not working well at the time. Actually it was a great way to cook bread. It’s very quick and you can use a frying pan or BBQ, too.
3/4 cup Warm Water
1 teaspoon Dry Yeast
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 cups Bread Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Cheese *Mozzarella, Swiss Cheese, Tasty Cheese, Pizza Mix, etc.
Extra Olive Oil for cooking
- Place Warm Water, Dry Yeast and Sugar in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Place Bread Flour, Baking Powder (*optional) and Salt in a large heat-proof bowl, and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and Olive Oil. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave on low power (150 to 200W) for 30 seconds (*optional), and set aside in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a very large oblong. Cover a half of the dough with Cheese (sliced OR shredded), fold the dough in half and seal the edges well. *If you use shredded cheese, gently press the dough and remove the air.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 15 to 20 minutes if you are not in a hurry.
- Heat a grill pan or frying pan over high heat, then reduce to low heat. Oil the the pan and cook Focaccia for 5 minutes each side, covered if you can. *I used a sheet of baking paper to cover.
- *Note: Alternatively, you can bake it in the oven at 220℃ for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Drizzle some Olive Oil over the dough before baking.