The other day my daughter tried a ‘Lemon Slice’ recipe that she found on YouTube. She baked the base, poured the lemon topping mixture over the base, and baked it again. The lemon topping didn’t set, and it was far too sweet. Then I decided to create my own ‘Lemon Slice’. The base of this slice can be the mix of crumbled Sweet Biscuits and melted Butter, just like the Cheesecake base. That means you can make this ‘Lemon Curd Slice’ without baking in the oven.
Brownie Pan (32cm x 18cm)
125g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 & 1/4 cups Plain Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
*Note: The base can be the mix of crumbled Sweet Biscuits and melted Butter, just like the Cheesecake base, for a no-bake option.
Lemon Curd Topping
3/4 to 1 cup Caster Sugar *according to the sweetness of the Lemon Juice
4 tablespoons Plain Flour
1/2 cup Lemon Juice *You would need 3 Lemons
Zest of 1 Lemon *grated
100g Butter *cut into small cubes
- In a saucepan, prepare Lemon Topping ingredients. Place Eggs, Sugar and Flour, and whisk to combine, then add Lemon Juice and grated Lemon Zest. Add Butter and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170℃. Line a brownie pan (32cm x 18cm) OR similar size pan with baking paper.
- Mix softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Add Egg Yolk and mix until creamy. Add Flour and Baking Powder, mix as you cut the butter mixture into flour until moist crumbs. If too dry, add an extra small amount of Butter.
- Place the crumbs into the cake tin and press down over the base. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- While the base is baking, start cooking Lemon Curd Topping over low heat, constantly stirring, until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens.
- Pour the Lemon Filling onto the baked base, and spread evenly. When cooled, place in the fridge for several hours or until set. Cut into small squares.
- *Note: Today I cut it too early and looked a little messy, so that I dusted with Powdered Sugar to cover up the mess. It’s a good technic!