‘Mabo Dofu Don’ is a dish of freshly cooked rice covered with Japanese Style Mabo Dofu. It’s one of my son’s favourites. I have tried some different types of Tofu for this dish, but our favourite remains Momen Tofu, which is medium to soft type, but naturally you can use your favourite type.
Freshly Cooked Rice 4 servings
Tofu 500g *Momen Tofu is preferred
Pork Mince 250 to 300g
Garlic 1 clove *finely chopped
Ginger 1 small piece *finely chopped
Thick Spring Onions 4
Oil 1 tablespoon
Dark Colour Miso 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce) 2 to 3 teaspoons
Sake 2 tablespoons
Chicken Stock 1 cup (or Water 1 cup & Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder 1 teaspoon)
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
Potato Starch 1 tablespoon
- Prepare vegetables. Basically you need to finely chop up everything. Save green part of Spring Onion for the topping when you serve. Cut Tofu into bite-size cubes.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking. Cooking process doesn’t take long at all.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Pork Mince and vegetables breaking up the mince.
- Before you add the sauce mixture into the pan, mix it well again. Then pour in the sauce mixture and bring it to boil and let it thicken.
- Add Tofu and gently mix and combine.
- Half fill a bowl with freshly cooked rice and cover it with the Mabo Dofu mixture. Sprinkle the chopped green part of Spring Onion on top and serve.