This cake recipe is almost identical to ‘Butter Beans Cocoa Cake’. I simply replaced Cocoa Powder with Matcha Powder. ‘Azuki’ Red Bean Paste is a very common and popular ingredient for Asian sweets. Canned ‘Azuki’ paste is available from most Asian grocery stores. White Chocolate Ganache or Muscovado Whipped Cream are also great fillings for the matcha cake.
Swiss Roll Pan
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 tablespoon Matcha Powder
20g Butter *melted
100-150g ‘Azuki’ Red Bean Paste *I used canned ‘Tsubu-an’
1 teaspoon Icing Sugar for dusting
1 teaspoon Matcha Powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line the base and sides of a Swiss Roll Pan with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk Eggs and Sugar and make the mixture very thick and pale colour. Sift the combined Flour and Matcha Powder over the egg mixture, and fold in gently. Add melted Butter and mix to just combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is dry to the touch.
- Place the sponge onto a clean work surface and peel the baking paper, but do not remove the paper. Spread the ‘Azuki’ Paste over the sponge, whichever side you prefer, then roll sponge to enclose using the paper.
- In a small bowl, combine Icing Sugar and Matcha Powder, sprinkle the mixture over the cake.