I scarcely remember the time when I was in my third year of primary school, but I clearly remember a boxed lunch that my mother made for me on a school excursion day. My lunch impressed all teachers and their praises made me so happy. The most outstanding food in the lunch box was this ‘Milk Kanten Jelly’ with fruit. What else in the lunch box? Sushi roll, fried chicken, Tamagoyaki (omelette), sausages shaped like octopus and salted cucumber cut decoratively!
As Kanten Jelly won’t melt at normal temperature, it is suitable to pack in the lunch box. This can be a lovely dessert.
4 to 6 Servings
1 sachet (4g) Kanten Powder OR 4g (1 & 1/4 teaspoons) Agar Agar Powder
*OR 1 sachet (8g) Queen’s ‘Jel-It-In Vegetarian Gelling Powder
1 cup Water
5 to 6 tablespoons Sugar
1 cup Milk
2 tablespoons Condensed Milk
Fruit (ex. Strawberries, Peach, Pineapple, Kiwi Fruit, Canned Fruit)
- Arrange some fruit in a large plastic container.
- Place Water and Kanten Powder (OR Agar Agar Powder) in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. Keep boiling for 1 minute occasionally stirring.
- Remove from heat, add Sugar, and mix well.
- Add Milk and Condensed Milk, and quickly mix well. Be aware it will start setting soon.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared Fruit in the container. Place in the fridge until firmly set.