I scarcely remember the time when I was in my third year of primary school, but I clearly remember a boxed lunch that my mother made for me on a school excursion day. My lunch impressed all teachers and their praises made me so happy. The most outstanding food in the lunch box was this ‘Milk Kanten Jelly’ with fruit. What else in the lunch box? Sushi roll, fried chicken, Tamagoyaki (omelette), sausages shaped like octopus and salted cucumber cut decoratively!
As Kanten Jelly won’t melt at normal temperature, it is suitable to pack in the lunch box. This can be a lovely dessert.
4 to 6 Servings
1 sachet (4g) Kanten Powder
*OR 1 sachet (8g) Agar (e.g. Queen’s ‘Jel-It-In Vegetarian Gelling Powder)
1 cup Water
5 to 6 tablespoons Sugar
1 cup Milk
2 tablespoons Condensed Milk
Fruit (ex. Strawberries, Peach, Pineapple, Kiwi Fruit, Canned Fruit)
- Arrange some fruit in a large plastic container.
- Place Water and Kanten Powder in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. Keep boiling for 1-2 minutes occasionally stirring,
- *Note: Kanten is different from gelatine. It needs to be boiled in the water to dissolve.
- Add Sugar, remove from heat when Sugar is dissolved.
- Add Milk and Condensed Milk and mix well. Be aware it will start setting soon.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared Fruit in the container. Place in the fridge until firmly set.