This savoury pancake recipe is similar to my ‘Potato & Smoked Salmon Pancakes’. It’s a grated potato-base pancake, and this time I added Nattō. OK!!! I know some people never wish to eat it because its strong smell (you may call it ‘odour’) and slimy texture. If you like Nattō, you will definitely enjoy these pancakes.
2 packets Natto *Sauce & Mustard included
1 sheet Nori *torn into small pieces
3 to 4 Spring Onions *finely chopped
2 medium size Potatoes *about 300g, peeled and cut into small pieces OR finely grated
6 to 8 tablespoons Flour of your choice *I use Plain Flour.
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt *reduce the amount if Smoked Salmon is very salty
Oil for cooking
- Mix Nattō with the sauce and mustard that are most likely included in the container.
- Place Potato pieces and Egg in a blender. Blend until fairly smooth. *Note: You can finely grate the Potatoes instead of blending with Egg.
- Place Spring Onion in a large bowl, add the Potato mixture (OR grated Potato and Egg), Flour, Baking Powder, and mix to combine. This should be quite thin batter. *Note: It is thin but not runny.
- Add the seasoned Nattō and Nori, and mix.
- Heat a small amount of Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, pour the mixture to make 8cm round, and cook both sides until golden brown. Add more Oil if needed. Enjoy with Soy Sauce and/or Mustard if you like.