There are some particular food that I wish to eat when I have a cold. This is one of them. The essential ingredients for this dish are Udon Soup, Noodles and Egg. I always season it lightly as it is a sick food for me. You can add other ingredients such as green vegetables and Asian mushrooms. It can be a very comforting meal on a cold winter day like today.
300ml Dashi Stock *OR 300ml Water & 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
1 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Mirin
1 serving Cooked Udon Noodles
1/2 tablespoonful Dried Cut Wakame *optional
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 teaspoon Potato Starch Flour *mixed with 2 teaspoons Water
1 Egg *lightly whisked
- Heat Dashi Stock and Sake (Rice Wine) in a large saucepan or pot, season with Salt, Soy Sauce and Mirin.
- Add Cooked Udon Noodles and Dried Cut Wakame, and cook until Udon Noodles are soft, OR absolutely soft. *Note: As you cook longer, you have less soup as the noodles suck up the soup.
- Add finely chopped Spring Onion, add Potato Starch mixture, and stir. When the soup is thickened, add Egg, and stir until Egg is softly cooked.
- *Note: When you cook the noodles absolutely soft, you don’t have much soup and you don’t need to add Potato Starch at all.
- *Tips: A small amount of grated Ginger is a good addition.