I often serve steamed vegetables with roasted or grilled meat. I usually use a steamer, but this ‘Pan-Steaming’ method is also good, especially for Cabbage. Slightly caramelised bottom adds extra flavour. Enjoy it with your favourite sauce. Today I served with Cheesy White Sauce.
1/2 Cabbage *cut into 4 wedges keeping the core
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
*Note: If you serve with Asian flavoured sauce, use Sesame Oil instead
2 pinches Salt
1 to 2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) *optional
Cheesy White Sauce
20g (2 tablespoons) Plain Flour
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup shredded Tasty Cheese (Cheddar Cheese) OR 2 Slice Cheese
Salt & Pepper
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, place Cabbage wedges, add Salt and 1/4 cup Water (and 1 to 2 tablespoons Sake), cover with a lid, and cook until water is gone.
- Turn over the Cabbage wedges carefully, add extra 1/4 cup Water, cover with a lid, and cook until water is gone and cabbage is soft.
- *Note: Depending on the type of the Cabbage you use and the softness that you desire, you might need to cook further with extra Water.
How to make Cheesy White Sauce
- Place Butter and Flour in a heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until Butter melts. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add cold Milk (but DO NOT try to whisk), and heat in the microwave for 1 minutes. (This process is to warm the Milk.) Whisk well until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, take it out and whisk well, then heat again for about 1 minute and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiled and thickened, take it out and whisk well until smooth. Add Cheese and mix well. Season with Salt and White Pepper.
- Melt Butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add Flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture bubbles. Gradually add Milk, constantly stirring.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add Cheese and mix well. Season with Salt and White Pepper.