I still have no access to my oven in the kitchen that is under repair. Actually the repair work hasn’t started yet. So, I am making cakes using my rice cooker, which I found the easiest & most energy-efficient way to cook cakes. Not all cake recipes work well for rice cooker method, but this ‘Chocolate Cake’ recipe works very well. The texture is soft and fluffy, and it can be used for many chocolate cake desserts. *Note: This cake can be baked in the oven.
I used my 10 cup capacity rice cooker which inner pot is 20cm in diameter.
1/2 cup Cream OR Milk
200g Dark Chocolate
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 to 2 pinches Salt
2 Eggs *lightly whisked
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract OR 1 tablespoon Rum
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
- Line the base of rice cooker’s inner pot with baking paper. *Note: If your inner pot is in a good state, baking paper would be unnecessary.
- Place Cream, Chocolate, Sugar and Salt in a large heat-proof bowl, heat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, then mix well until smooth using a whisk.
- Add lightly whisked Eggs and Vanilla OR Rum, mix well until smooth. Sift in Flour and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared rice cooker’s inner pot and press ‘Start’ button at ‘Cake’ setting.
- Take out the inner pot and let it stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Carefully peel away baking paper. Dust with Icing Sugar.