If you are a beginner cook, baking tart might sound too challenging. Using my ‘Basic Shortcrust Pastry‘ recipe, this delicious tart can be made quite easily. You don’t have a rolling pin? Don’t worry! You don’t need the rolling pin. You can spread the pastry dough in the pie dish using your hands.
I used 22.5cm Pie Dish
125g Butter *softened
1/4 to 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 & 3/4 cups Plain Flour
1 pinch Salt
*Find my ‘Basic Shortcrust Pastry‘ recipe & ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’ recipe
250g Ricotta *room temperature
125g Cream Cheese *OR extra Ricotta, room temperature
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons Lemon Juice
Jam of your choice *Today I used Strawberry Jam
Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Beat softened Butter and Sugars until smooth. Beat in Egg and Vanilla, and mix well. Add Flour and mix to combine, bring the mixture together, and shape into a disc. *Note: Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes if too soft.
- Roll the dough to 4-5mm thickness and transfer to a pie dish. Trim off the extra dough. *Tips: You can spread the dough in the pie dish, bit by bit, by your hands. Make sure it is all same thickness.
- Mix Ricotta, softened Cream Cheese and Caster Sugar in a bowl, add Egg and Lemon Juice, and mix well.
- Spread Jam on the Pastry, and spread the Ricotta mixture evenly.
- With the remaining dough, make thin strips to create a lattice finish. You may wish to weave the strips properly, but I usually don’t bother.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180° for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely. Dust with Powdered Sugar.