‘Takikomigohan’ is a dish of Rice that is cooked with ingredients and seasonings. If you have a rice cooker, it is super easy to create ‘Takikomigohan’ dishes. Today I cooked Rice with Salmon and Asparagus. Butter & Soy Sauce flavour is very popular in Japan, and Salmon and Asparagus taste lovely in this flavour.
200 to 300g Salmon Fillets OR Off-cuts *skinless, bones removed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
400ml Dashi Stock *OR Water 400ml & Dashi Powder 1/2 teaspoon
20g Butter *cut into small cubes
1/4 teaspoon Ground Chilli *optional
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 bunch (about 160g) Thick Asparagus *trimmed and cut into 1-2cm pieces
- Cut skinless Salmon Fillets into chunky pieces, add Salt and Sake and massage. Cover and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear.
- Drain the rice and place it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add Dashi Stock, Butter, Chilli and Soy sauce. Scatter Garlic, Asparagus and Salmon pieces on top.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.