‘Sausages & Mashed Potatoes’ is actually not very easy to prepare. First of all, I don’t like pan-frying Sausages as it makes kitchen dirty with splatters. I have to make gravy sauce after Sausages are cooked, and I have to make Mashed Potatoes as well. I tried several ways to cook Sausages and Potatoes, and this casserole is the easiest.
3 to 4 Potatoes
1 large Carrot *thickly sliced
500g Good Quality Sausages *Today I used Angus Beef Sausages
2 tablespoons (30g) Butter
1 Onion *thinly sliced
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
8 Mushrooms *cleaned and sliced
3 tablespoons Plain Flour
Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
2 cups Stock *Today I used Beef Stock
Herbs of your choice *Today I used fresh Thyme
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
- Preheat the oven to 200℃. Peal Potatoes and cut into chunky pieces, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, add Carrot slices, and place the tray in the oven that is now heating up.
- When oven is hot, take the tray out, arrange the Sausages on the tray together with the Potato and Carrot, and place back in the oven. Bake for 10 to 15minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt Butter in an oven-safe shallow saucepan (*OR a frying pan) over medium heat and cook Onion and Garlic until soft. *Note: You can cook them using a frying pan and later combine everything in a baking dish.
- Add Mushrooms, cook for a few minutes, add Flour and stir for 1 minute, then add the Sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Tuck in the Sausages, Potato and Carrot pieces, then place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until Sausages and Potato are browned on top. *Note: You can combine everything in a baking dish, and bake.