The main feature of this dish is Chestnuts. In Japan, there are many dishes that are similar to this dish, and root vegetables are often used, such as Potatoes, Satoimo (Taros), Lotus Root, Gobo, etc. But, this one is special. If you have never cooked Chestnuts for savoury dishes, you should try it. The flavour of Chestnuts and Soy Sauce are a good match.
300g Chicken Thigh Fillets *cut into 3-4cm size
1 tablespoon Oil
1 pinch Salt
1 Carrot *optional, cut into small pieces
6 to 8 Dry Whole Shiitake
400g skinned Chestnuts *Today I used Frozen Skinned Chestnuts
1 cup Dashi Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
*You can use the Water that is used to soak Shiitake
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
1 tablespoon Sugar
- Clean and wash Shiitake, then Soak in plenty of water for 1-2 hours at least, or until completely softened. Drain but save the water if you use it for cooking. Wash them well again and cut in half.
- Shell and skin the Chestnuts. Keep the skinned Chestnuts in water while you are working. *Note: Today I used Frozen Skinned Chestnuts, which are ready to use.
- Heat Oil in a pot over medium heat, cook Chicken pieces until slightly browned, lightly season with a pinch Salt.
- Add Carrot and Shiitake, stir-fry for a few minutes, then add the all the sauce ingredients. Add skinned Chestnuts, cover with a sheet of baking paper, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper, increase the heat and cook, gently tossing occasionally, until the sauce is almost gone.