When cabbages are in season, I often make coleslaw with different dressings or sauces. I tried to create an Asian flavour slaw. When you follow this recipe, you might think the amount of the cabbages is too much for 4 servings but it will decrease in volume and the flavour will become stronger. I use Toban Djan for spiciness because it is always in my fridge, but fresh Chilli would be very nice. Today I served the slaw in lettuce cups.
1/4 Green Cabbage
1/6 to 1/4 Red Cabbage
1 to 2 Spring Onion
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Canned Tuna *185g , in Brine recommended
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2-3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1-2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
2-3 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
- Slice Cabbages and Carrot into thin strips. Thinly slice Spring Onion diagonally. Place the vegetables in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Alter the amount of Rice Vinegar and Sugar to suite your preference.
- Drain Canned Tune and remove excess water, then add to the vegetables.
- Add the sauce and mix all until well combined. Set aside for a while, mixing occasionally, to let it softens and decrease in volume.
- It’s an idea to serve the slaw in lettuce cups.