Every cook should know how to make White Sauce (Béchamel Sauce). The method that I learned is simple. ‘Cook same weight of Butter and Flour until bubbles, then add Milk gradually and simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sauce thickens.’ Most people use a saucepan to make White Sauce, but it is Super Easy if you have a microwave.
20g (2 tablespoons) Plain Flour
1 cup Milk
*Note: Thickness of the sauce can be altered by reducing or increasing the amount of Milk.
Salt & White Pepper
Super Easy Microwave Method
- Place Butter and Flour in a heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until Butter melts. Mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- Add cold Milk (but DO NOT try to whisk), and heat in the microwave for 1 minutes. (This process is to warm the Milk.) Whisk well until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, take it out and whisk well, then heat again for about 1 minute and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiled and thickened, take it out and whisk well until smooth. Season with Salt and White Pepper.
- *Note: I used 1100W power Microwave. Alter the heating time accordingly.
- Melt Butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add Plain Flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture bubbles. Gradually add Milk, constantly stirring.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Season with Salt and White Pepper.