Sushi Rice is all about the quality of Rice, how it is cooked and the flavour of Sushi Vinegar. My family’s Sushi Vinegar is always praised by my friends. Here is the recipe and you will never buy bottled read-made Sushi Vinegar again.
Freshly Cooked Hot Rice* (Short grain Japanese rice!!!)
*For sushi, cook rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture.
How to cook rice for Sushi >
Sushi Vinegar Ingredients
*For 5 cups (180ml cups) of uncooked rice
Rice Vinegar 120ml
Salt 2 teaspoons
*This is my family’s recipe, but naturally you can alter it to suit your taste, by adding more sugar or vinegar or salt. But my family recipe should be just right.
1. After removing the Rice from the heat, allow it to steam for 10 minutes.
2. Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing the ingredients together.
3. Pour the Sushi Vinegar over the hot rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl.
4. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the Rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Quick cooling gives a glossy texture to the rice.
5. Cover the Rice with a damp cloth to stop the Rice drying out.