You know ‘Temaki-zushi’, the self-serve Sushi Rolls. It is easy to prepare, and great fun to eat as everyone rolls by themselves at dinner table. Self-serve Rice Paper Rolls is also a great fun. Today I served Beef as main filling, but naturally you can serve whatever you like.
Dry Rice Paper
Warm to Hot Water
Dipping Sauce of your choice *Today I used Hoisin Sauce. Find more Dipping Sauces here
Rice Vermicelli *cooked as instructed
Vegetables *e.g. Lettuce, Cucumber, Carrot, Daikon, Mint, etc.
500g Beef Steak *at room temperature, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Oil
Yakiniku Sauce of your choice *Sweet type recommended, OR use the sauce below
Sauce for Beef
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds *lightly ground
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Fish Sauce *OR extra Soy Sauce
- Prepare the Fillings. Slice all Vegetables into thin strips. Cook Rice Vermicelli as instructed, rinse under cold water, then Drain well. *Note: Sprinkle with some Sesame Oil to stop the noodles stick together.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over high heat, cook thinly sliced Beef, and season with Yakiniku Sauce.
- Arrange all the fillings on a serving plate. Each guest should have their own plate that is larger than Rice Paper. Serve warm to hot Water in a bowl that is large enough to dip Rice Paper.
- *Note: The Water should be hot enough, but not too hot as you need to safely dip your fingers.
- When you eat, everyone dips a Rice Paper in the water, then place it on their own plate. Rice Paper will quickly become soft while they are placing fillings on it. Then everyone rolls up their roll and enjoy with/without Dipping Sauce.