My ‘Tiramisu Cake’ is almost same as my ‘Super Easy Tiramisu’. I use ‘Basic Sponge Cake’ instead of Savoiardi (Sponge Fingers). However, the ordinary Tiramisu filling is too soft and runny for this cake. I add Gelatine to make the texture of filling like mousse, so that you can assemble the cake just like using whipped cream.
20cm Springform Cake Tin
Basic Sponge Cake
90g (100ml) Caster Sugar
70g (120ml) Self-Raising Flour
2 tablespoons Corn Starch Flour
20g Butter *melted
1/2 cup Espresso *OR 1/2 cup Hot Water and 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
1 tablespoon Marsala Wine *OR your favourite liquor such as Brandy OR Rum
1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground Coffee
2 Egg Whites
200ml Thickened Cream
2 Egg Yolks
1/4 cup Caster Sugar *do not add it yet…
2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder *soaked in 2 tablespoons Water
- Bake ‘Basic Sponge Cake’.
- To make Coffee Syrup, combine Espresso (OR strong coffee), Sugar and Marsala Wine in a small bowl.
- In another small heat-proof bowl, place 2 tablespoons Water and sprinkle Gelatine Powder over, and soak for 10 minutes.
- To make Filling, prepare three bowls. Place Egg Whites in Bowl 1, Cream in Bowl 2, and Egg Yolks in Bowl 3.
- Add 2 tablespoons Cream from Bowl 2 to the soaked Gelatine, and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds or until completely melted (DO NOT boil).
- Bowl 1: Using the electric beaters, beat Egg Whites until stiff peaks form.
- Bowl 2: Using the same electric beaters, whip Cream. Do not worry some Egg White gets in the cream as you will mix everything together later.
- Bowl 3: Add the Caster Sugar to the Egg Yolks, and beat using the same electric beaters until pale and thick. Add Mascarpone and mix well. Then add the Gelatine mixture and quickly mix well.
- To the Mascarpone mixture in Bowl 3, add the whipped Cream and mix well. Then add the Egg Whites and gently fold into the mixture.
- Now you can assemble ‘Tiramisu Cake’.
- Slice the cooled sponge cake into three pieces. Place 1 sponge piece on a plate. Using a spoon, drizzle Coffee Syrup over the sponge evenly, then spread with one third of filling.
- Place the second sponge piece, drizzle Coffee Syrup over, and spread with one third of filling.
- Drizzle Coffee Syrup over the cut side of the top sponge piece, then place it on top right way up. Spread with the remaining filling. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Before serving, dust the top with Cocoa Powder mixed with Ground Coffee.
- *Note: Tiramisu Cake can be made with Cocoa Sponge Cake. For this cake below, I added 1 teaspoon Corn Flour to the Coffee Syrup and cooked it in the microwave. Thickened Coffee Syrup was easy to spread but didn’t soak into the sponge very well.