‘Tofu Soboro Don’ is another delicious and nutritious meal for you to try on Meat-Free Mondays. Of course you can try it anytime you want. Adding some refreshing salad to it, the meal would be perfect. In Australia, all major supermarket chains sell their own brand Firm Tofu and they are not expensive. It is so handy to keep one or two in the fridge for always.
450 to 500g Firm Tofu *crumbled
4 Eggs *whisked well
1 pinch Salt
1 cup Frozen Peas
4 servings Freshly Cooked Rice
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Sugar
1-2 tablespoons Mirin
3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Dashi Stock OR Chicken Stock
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Whisk Eggs and season with 1 pinch Salt. Heat a small amount of Oil in a frying pan over low heat, cook the egg, stirring constantly, until crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons Oil in the frying pan, cook crumbled Tofu and Frozen Peas for 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Add the sauce to the mixture. Tofu will instantly suck up the sauce, but keep cooking, stirring and tossing, for 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced and flavour is well developed.
- Half fill a bowl with freshly cooked rice and cover it with the tofu mixture and the egg.