‘Umeshu’ is a Japanese liqueur made by steeping unripe Ume fruits in strong alcohol, such as Shōchū, and Sugar. It has quite high alcohol content, and believe or not, I was allowed to drink it when I was a child. It was mixed with plenty of cold water, though. This jelly is very alcoholic and only for grown-ups. ‘Umeshu’ can be replaced with other fruit liqueur.
1 tablespoon Gelatine Powder *10 to 12g
200ml ‘Umeshu’ *can be replaced with other fruit liqueur
4 tablespoons Sugar
- Sprinkle Gelatine powder into 2 tablespoons of cold water and let it soak for a while.
- Heat Water and Sugar in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat and add soaked gelatine and dissolve it well.
- Add ‘Umeshu’ and mix well. Pour it into serving glasses and cool to set. *Note: Today I added the Ume fruit as well.
- The jelly is very alcoholic, only for grown-ups.
- *Tips: If you like stronger ‘Umeshu’ flavour, reduce the amount of Water and add more ‘Umeshu’.