My family’s favourite Mazegohan is ‘Beef Mazegohan’. Today I replaced Beef with Soy Meat for a Vegan version. I used Fillet type, but Mince type can be used. Dry Soy Meat is made from Soy Beans and Water, and it is basically dried Tofu. Available from most Asian grocery stores, and not expensive at all.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
4 to 5 Dried Whole Shiitake Mushrooms
80g Dry Soy Meat *I used Fillet type
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 small piece Ginger *cut into fine strips
1/2 Carrot *cut into thin slices or strips
1/4 to 1/3 cup Edamame Beans *optional
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 tablespoon Sugar *alter the amount to suit your taste
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
4 tablespoons Water that is used to soak Shiitake
- Wash Rice and cook as normal.
- Soak Dried Shiitake in water for 1-2 hours or until soft. It can take quite a long time. When soft, drain and save water. Thinly slice Shiitake.
- Soak Dry Soy Meat in plenty of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and gently squeeze to remove excess water.
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat Oils in a frying pan and cook Ginger and Carrot. Then add Shiitake and softened Soy Meat. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the Sauce and cook until the sauce is thickened and almost gone. Add Edamame Beans and stir, then mix with cooked Rice.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds, and serve.