Chicken, Avocado, Cucumber, Lettuce, Wasabi are popular fillings for Sushi Rolls, because they taste good with sweet & sour rice. They can be great toppings for ‘Chirashi-zushi’, a type of sushi which is a kind of decorated rice salad. Same ingredients in a different presentation.
1 cup (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
25ml Rice Vinegar *5 teaspoons
20g Sugar *about 4 teaspoons
2g Salt *about 1/2 teaspoon
200g Chicken *This time I used tenderloin fillets.
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon grated Wasabi *OR Wasabi paste as required
2 Lettuce Leaves
1/2 sheet Toasted Nori (Seaweed Sheet) *cut into thin strips
- Wash rice well and cook as usual. *See ‘Sushi Rice’
- Mix Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt to make ‘Sushi Vinegar’. Pour it over the hot rice, mix well gently and thoroughly, and cover with a damp cloth to stop drying out.
- Cook Chicken in a lightly oiled frying pan, and season with Salt & Pepper. Set aside to cool, then cut or tear into small pieces.
- Cut Avocado and Cucumber into small pieces, thinly slice Lettuce.
- Combine Soy Sauce and Wasabi in a bowl, check the flavour. You may wish to add more Wasabi. Add Cucumber, Avocado and Chicken, and gently mix to combine.
- Place Sushi Rice on a plate, cover with some Lettuce, then place Chicken, Avocado and Cucumber on top, then sprinkle with some Nori.