‘Yakiton’ are grilled skewered Pork. Bite-sized pieces of Pork are skewered and grilled, often over an open flame. The chicken versions are called ‘Yakitori’ that are very popular at Izakayas. Any parts of Pork can be used, but my favourite is Pork Belly. If you wish to add vegetables to the skewers, small chilli peppers are the best addition. When I cook them at home, I use a grill pan, but BBQ grid would be the best method.
1kg Pork Belly *skinless
Salt & Pepper
Spices & Condiments of your choice *Lime & Jalapeño, Yuzukoshō, Chilli Powder, etc.
Additional Vegetable Suggestion
Small Chilli Peppers (*e.g. Shishito, Padrón Peppers)
Thick Spring Onion
Shiitake & King Oyster Mushrooms
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Mirin
1 tablespoon grated Ginger
- Soak skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for at least half an hour, then drain.
- Cut Pork Belly into bite size pieces and thread onto skewers.
- Combine the Ginger Sauce ingredients.
- Heat a grill pan, frying pan or barbecue plate. Season half of the skewers with Salt and Pepper, and cook the skewers until cooked through.
- Cook the rest of skewers, brushing with or dipping in the sauce occasionally until cooked though.
- Serve with spices & condiments of your choice. Today I enjoyed them with my ‘Lime & Jalapeño’.