Yakitori is best when cooked on the grill grid over charcoal. If you cook using an ordinary BBQ, bamboo skewers need to be protected as they burn easily. I recommend to soak the skewers very well first. It is actually easy and fun to make a yakitori grill. Just Google to find many unique DIY ideas.
Thick Spring Onions
Salt & Pepper
Soy Sauce 1/2 cup
Mirin 1/2 cup
Sugar 2 tablespoons
Garlic 1 *sliced
- Soak skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for at least half an hour, then drain.
- Cut Chicken into bite size pieces and cut thick Spring Onion into 3cm. Thread the Chicken and Spring Onion onto skewers.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and boil until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Heat a barbecue plate or frypan. Season half of the skewers with Salt and Pepper, and cook the skewers until cooked through.
- Cook the rest of skewers, brushing them with the sauce occasionally until cooked though.