This Japanese rice bowl dish is often served with Wasabi. The sauce is made with Garlic, Butter and Soy Sauce, which is a great combination, and Wasabi matches this sauce. In the western cuisines, Horseradish is often used for Beef dishes. Wasabi has very similar flavour. I definitely enjoy this ‘Beef Steak Don’ with grated Wasabi OR Wasabi pastes, however you may prefer Chilli OR Black Pepper.
200g Beef Steak
Salt & Black Pepper
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 Spring Onion
Additional Vegetables *e.g. Carrot, Watercress, Lettuce, etc.
*Note: Today I added Carrot and white parts of Spring Onion cut into fine strips
2 servings warm Cooked Rice
Grated Wasabi OR Wasabi Paste *You may prefer Chilli OR Black Pepper
- Season Beef Steak with Salt and Black Pepper fairly well, then drizzle a small amount of Oil over and coat Beef Steak with the Oil.
- Heat a frying pan until hot, cook Beef Steak as you like. I cooked it medium rare. When cooked, transfer to a plate and allow to rest.
- While the Steak is resting, prepare Vegetables. Finely chop up Spring Onion. Today I cut white parts into fine strips. I also cut a piece of Carrot into fine strips. Avocado can be sliced OR cut into bite-size pieces.
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat, add Butter and Garlic. When aromatic, add Soy Sauce and Sake (Rice Wine), and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Slice the rested Beef Steak. Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice, place Vegetables and sliced Steak on the Rice, drizzle with the sauce. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion, and add some Wasabi, only a small amount.
Leave a Reply