I just added 1 Lemon to my ‘Basic Pound Cake’, which is actually ‘125g cake’, not ‘1 pound cake’. I added the Lemon Zest to the batter and I drizzled the Lemon Syrup over the hot cake, so that the syrup would soak the cake. It is very simple to make, no technic required, and it is delicious as you can imagine.
Standard Loaf Tin
125g (OR 1/2 cup) Caster Sugar
3 Eggs (about 125g) *must be at room temperature
Zest of 1 Lemon *finely grated
125g Self-Raising Flour
Powdered Sugar for dusting *optional
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon *about 3 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy. Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add Lemon Zest and Flour, and combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: I spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Insert a skewer into the hot cake all over and make lots of holes.
- Mix Sugar and Lemon Juice in a small bowl, then pour the syrup over the cake evenly. Leave the cake in the tin until completely cool. Dust with with Powdered Sugar before serve.
- Lemon Icing Option: If you wish to add Lemon Icing on top instead of soaking Lemon Syrup, mix 1/2 cup Icing Sugar and 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice to make the icing.
Leave a Reply