Many years ago, someone gave me this Chocolate Cake recipe, so this is not my invention. I have tried some other different recipes but I have never come across any recipes easier than this one. Nigella Lawson said every home cook should know at least one Chocolate Cake recipe. Well… this is the one I know.
18 to 20cm Round Cake Tin
Self-Raising Flour 1 & 1/3 cups
BC Soda 1 teaspoon
Cocoa Powder 1/3 cup
Sugar 1 cup
Butter Milk 1 cup *room temperature
Butter 125g *melted
Eggs 2 *room temperature
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of a cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides.
- In a large bowl, mix and shift all dry ingredients well.
- Add wet ingredients and mix very well until the texture is like chocolate mousse.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Slice the cake in half and spread over Chocolate Ganache, then sandwich with cake top.
*Note: Chocolate Ganache can be easily made by mixing dark chocolate and warmed cream, OR try my ‘Tofu Chocolate Truffles’.