Many years ago, someone gave me this Chocolate Cake recipe, so this is not my invention. I have tried some other different recipes but I have never come across any recipes easier than this one. Nigella Lawson said every home cook should know at least one Chocolate Cake recipe. Well… this is the one I know.
20cm Round Cake Tin
1 & 1/3 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter Milk *room temperature
125g Butter *melted, plus extra to grease the cake tin
2 Eggs *room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of a cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides with Butter.
- Use a whisk to mix and blend all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix very well until the texture is like chocolate mousse.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Slice the cake in half and spread over Chocolate Ganache, then sandwich with cake top. *Note: Chocolate Ganache can be easily made by mixing dark chocolate and warmed cream.