I used to make this dish using Tofu as filling, but I like Chicken Mince version better. I wanted to add Hijiki (a sea vegetable) as well, but I haven’t found it for many years where I live. If you have it, add 1 tablespoon of it.
3 Abura-age (Thin Fried Tofu)
125g Chicken Mince
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
5cm Carrot *cut into small pieces
1/4 cup Edamame OR Peas
1 pinch Salt
1 cup Dashi Stock *1 cup Water and 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Sugar
- Blanch Carrot and Edamame in boiling salted water, then drain. In a bowl, combine Chicken Mince, Ginger, all Vegetables and Salt. Divide into 6 even portions.
- Wrap Abura-age with paper towel and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Then press it to remove excess oil if required. *Note: This process is optional, but the heat softens Abura-age and next process will be easier. If you don’t have the microwave, soak in hot water is alternative option. Dry with paper towel.
- Cut each Abura-age in half, carefully open and make bags. Fill each bag with the Chicken mixture and secure with a toothpick.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan or pot, and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Once the sauce starts boiling, gently place the Abura-age bags in the sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Turn them over, and cook for further 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in the sauce.