I used to buy Maggi’s Chilli Con Carne spice mix to make this dish. But once I have learned what spices I need to make it, I don’t need pre-made spice mix. This dish is very simple to make. Sometimes I add extra Chilli or less Chilli, other spices like Oregano, more Tomatoes, a little bit of Sugar or fresh Coriander which my husband hates! Please alter the flavour to suit your taste.
Lean Beef Mince 500g
Onion 1 *finely chopped
Garlic 1 clove *finely chopped
Capsicum 1 *cut to small pieces
Canola Oil 1 tablespoon
Hot Chilli Powder OR Cayenne Pepper 1/2 teaspoon
Ground Paprika 1 to 2 teaspoons
Ground Cumin 1 to 2 teaspoons
Ground Coriander Seeds 1 to 2 teaspoons
Plain Flour 2 tablespoons
Beef Stock 1 cup *OR 1 cup Water & 1 Beef Stock Cube
Canned Diced Tomatoes 400g
Canned Kidney Beans 410g
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook Onion, Garlic and Capsicum for a few minutes, add Beef Mince and cook until Beef changes colour.
- Add all Spices and Flour and mix to combine. *Note: Flour is to thicken the sauce. You can add Tomato Paste instead of Flour.
- Add Beef Stock and Tomatoes, and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the canned Kidney beans and add to the pan. Stir to combine and season with Salt but the amount of Salt depends on the saltiness of the stock and beans. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally as it is easy to get burnt.
- Serve with freshly cooked rice.