Clear soup is usually seasoned with Salt and Soy Sauce. Depending on the ingredients, Sake (Rice Wine) and Mirin are also used. The above image is the clear soup with a piece of Cod, Enoki and Spring Onion.
4 cups Dashi *See ‘Dashi Stock’ page
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
Add two or three of the following
Tofu 1/2 to 1 block
Egg 1 or 2
Chicken Balls 100 to 200g
Prawn Balls 100 to 200g
Mushrooms (Shiitake, Enoki, Shimeji, Maitake, Oyster Mushroom)
Snow Peas 5 to 6
Garlic Chives 1/4 bunch
Spinach 1/4 bunch
Carrot 1/4 to 1/2
- Heat Dashi Stock (OR Water & Dashi Powder) in a large saucepan or a pot, add the ingredients and cook them in the stock until soft.
*Note: Use about 2 teaspoons Dashi Powder for 4 cups Water OR according to the instruction on the package.
- Season the soup with salt and soy sauce.
- *Note: You should season the soup before adding Tofu, Egg, already cooked Vegetables or anything that can be cooked quickly.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onions and serve.
- *Yuzu Peel: A small piece of Yuzu Peel can be added instead of Spring Onion. As Clear Soup has a very delicate flavour, Yuzu Peel, that has a wonderful fragrance, makes the soup smell and taste nicer. Only if you are lucky to find Yuzu Fruit.
- *Mitsuba: Mitsuba, Japanese parsley, is also popularly used to add a fragrance to the Clear Soup. But I know Mitsuba is also very difficult to find.
Leave a Reply