I added Sweetened Chestnut Cream and also coarsely chopped Roasted Chestnuts to my Pound Cake batter. You definitely need Rum for this cake. This is a divine cake for chestnut lovers like me.
Standard Loaf Tin
150g peeled Roasted Chestnuts *coarsely chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons Rum
125g Butter *cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Sweetened Chestnut Cream (Paste)
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
125g Self-Raising Flour
- Place coarsely chopped Roasted Chestnuts in a small bowl, sprinkle Rum over, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer until smooth. Add Sugar and Sweetened Chestnut Paste, and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Vanilla Extract, and gently fold in Flour with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. Add Chestnuts and Rum, and combine evenly.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: I spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes as it is very soft, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Hello Hiroko san, thank you for your reply. I have finally made this cake and it turned out great! Light and fluffy with delicious rum infused chestnuts. It was heavenly! I was so impressed with the height of the cake because the recipe doesn’t call for the baking powder. I will definitely bake it again! 素敵なレシピをありがとうございます😊
Hello Hiroko san
Do you roast the chestnuts yourself or is it ok to use packet variety from Asian grocery store?
Thank you for the recipe. This is just what I was looking for.
Hi Yukari-san. Buy a packet of Roasted Chestnuts from Asian grocery store. I think it’s not worth roasting Chestnuts by yourself. You have to peel them, you know? I can’t do that as my hands are too sore. I have once tried to roast them using my mini toaster oven, and the chestnuts exploded!!! It took a long time to clean up.