My next-door neighbour gave me his Grapefruit again, though I always honestly decline his offer, because my family members don’t eat Grapefruit. I like its freshness but I am sensitive to its bitterness. I decided to make jam hoping the bitterness would become mild. I removed all zest, white bits and membranes to reduce the bitterness. And this Grapefruit Jam is still bitter, but it is actually delicious when eat it with Yoghurt.
2 Grapefruit *I had 320g flesh from 2 Grapefruit
Sugar *60 to 70% weigh of Grapefruit flesh, I added 200g
- Cut off top and bottom of each Grapefruit, cut in half OR quarters length ways, and take out the flesh between the membranes.
- Weigh the Grapefruit flesh. You would need Sugar about 60 to 70% weight of it. Try with 50 to 60% first, then add extra as required.
- Combine Grapefruit flesh and Sugar in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally and removing the foamy thing on the surface, for 20 to 25 minutes OR until desired consistency is achieved.
- *Note: Jam will thicken when it cools, so stop cooking when you think it is still too soft.
- This jam is delicious with Yoghurt.