Until I made this Matcha Ice Cream, I had been using my old Egg-free recipe for many years. Currently this is my favourite Matcha Ice Cream. It is based on my ‘Easiest Vanilla Ice Cream’. I added Matcha to it and altered the amount of Sugar.
2 to 4 Servings
1 tablespoons Matcha Powder
2 tablespoons Hot Water
2 Egg Yolks
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Thickened Cream
3 tablespoons Caster Sugar *mixed with Cream
- In a small bowl, mix Matcha Powder and Hot Water well.
- Place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Heat Milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the hot Milk to the Egg mixture in the bowl, whisking constantly. The heat of the Milk cooks the Egg Yolks. *Note: You can return the mixture into the saucepan and heat up to cook properly.
- Add Matcha mixture and Vanilla, and mix well. Cool the mixture completely.
- In a separate bowl, beat Cream and Caster Sugar until soft peaks form. Add the cooled (OR chilled) Matcha mixture and Vanilla Extract, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a container and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until ready.
- *Note: The real ice cream becomes hard when completely frozen. To soften it, transfer the ice cream from the freezer to the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving. Or let it stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.