Medium Soft Tofu such as ‘Momen’ is best suitable for this dish. Today I used Woolworths’ Macro Classic Tofu 500g. Thinly sliced Pork and Asian greens such as Bok Choy can be added. Enjoy this comforting soupy dish with freshly cooked Rice.
500g Tofu *medium soft type such as ‘Momen’
100g Shiitake Mushrooms *cut in half
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce *alter the amount depending on the saltiness of the stock
1 tablespoon Potato Starch
Finely Ground White Pepper
- Cut Tofu into the size that is easy to eat. Leave them on a tilted cutting board, so that excess water can drip into the sink.
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a bowl. Alter the amount of Soy Sauce depending on the saltiness of the stock. *Note: If you add Pork or other vegetables, you would need more sauce.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Garlic and Shiitake. If you add Pork or other vegetables, cook them with Shiitake.
- When cooked, add the sauce, bring to the boil and stir until the sauce thickens. Add Tofu and cook for a few minutes until Tofu is hot.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion, and enjoy with freshly cooked Rice.