My ‘Basic Pound Cake’ recipe requires 125g of each Butter, Sugar, Eggs and Self-Raising Flour (OR Plain Flour & Baking Powder). I replaced Butter with 1 Avocado, which was about 125g when mashed. I didn’t add any Oil at all. The cake is moist and the texture is almost the same but obviously not oily at all. Please note that you can hardly taste Avocado in this cake.
Standard Loaf Tin
1 Ripe Avocado *mashed
125g (OR 1/2 cup) Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
125g Self-Raising Flour
*Note: You can add Cocoa, Matcha, Dried Fruit OR Nuts.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base and sides of a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mash Avocado in a mixing bowl with a whisk, add Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice and Vanilla, and mix well.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift in Flour and gently mix with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: Spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker, so that you will have a nice centre crack. However, the batter could be too soft to do that.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Thank you for the recipe, I made it and I like it alot. Could you please let me know how much cocoa powder or matcha powder to add to the recipe for the different variations? Thanks, Hilda
Thank you, Hilda, for trying such an unusual recipe. I am glad you enjoyed it. The amount of those powders depends on everyone’s preference, but I would add 1 to 2 tablespoons Matcha Powder and 2 to 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder. And I would omit Lemon Juice if I add them. I would rather add Rum OR Brandy.