To my children, here is your mother’s ‘Beef Stroganoff’ recipe that you have been enjoying since your childhood. It’s not hard to cook. You don’t need to buy a packet of ready-made Beef Stroganoff seasoning. Make sure you have sour cream and good quality beef steaks in hand. If you want your ‘Beef Stroganoff’ tastes same as mine, use Massel’s Beef Stock.
Beef Steaks 500 to 600g *thinly sliced into strips
Large Onion 1 *sliced
Mushroom 8 (about 300g) *sliced
Garlic 1 clove *finely chopped
Canola Oil 1 tablespoon
Butter 1 tablespoon
Plain Flour 2 tablespoons
Ground Paprika 1 to 2 teaspoons
Beef Stock 1 cup (OR Water 1 cup and Beef Stock Cube 1)
Sour Cream 100 to 125ml
Salt & Cracked Pepper
Freshly Cooked Rice or Pasta To Serve
- Heat Canola Oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook Beef strips until browned. Transfer cooked Beef to a bowl or plate so that you can cook vegetables separately next.
- Add Butter to the pan. Cook Onion and Garlic until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Return the Beef to the pan. Add Flour and Paprika and cook for a minute. Then add Beef Stock (or Water and Beef Stock Cube).
- Bring it to the boil. Check the flavour and add Salt if needed. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in sour cream and it’s done.
- Serve with freshly cooked rice or pasta and a plenty of Cracked Pepper.