When I heard that ‘Chebureki’, Deep-fried Meat Stuffed Pastry, is a very popular street food in Ukraine, I wanted to taste them. As it is very difficult to visit the country, I decided to make them by myself. ‘Chebureki’ were delicious, and I have shared my easy recipe on this website. However, since I had a kitchen accident and burnt my face with hot oil, I have been reluctant to use a lot of hot oil. I know many people are scared to deep-fry anything at home. Here is my Oven-baked ‘Chebureki’ recipe. Deep-fried ‘Chebureki’ definitely taste better, but baking is easier.
2 cups Bread Flour OR Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Warm Milk OR Warm Water
2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil *OR Oil of your choice
Extra Oil for brushing *optional
200g Minced Lamb, Pork, Beef OR Chicken
1 clove Garlic *grated OR finely chopped
1/2 Onion *grated OR VERY finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
*Note: Depending on the type of Meat, add Herbs and Spices such as Cumin, Thyme, Oregano, etc. You may wish to add some grated Cheese as well.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Warm Milk (OR Water) and Oil, mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding extra Flour if required, until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic food warp and allow it to rest.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Filling Ingredients. If you grate the Onion, add all the liquid as well. The mixture is probably too thick to spread easily. Add some Water and mix well and make the mixture soft. *Note: You may wish to add some whisked Egg instead of Water.
- Turn the dough onto lightly floured surface and divide into 8 even portions. Roll one portion into a ball and cover remaining portions with plastic wrap to stop drying out.
- Preheat oven to 220℃. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll out the ball of dough into a round (OR oblong) about 2mm thin. Thinly spread the Meat mixture over 1/2 of the round, leaving the edges, fold in half, then gently press down to remove air, and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining Dough and Meat mixture, and make 8 pieces. Place them on the prepared trays, 4 pieces on each, and brush Oil but it is optional.
- Bake for 20 minutes OR until nicely browned. Enjoy ‘Chebureki’ hot OR warm.