I heard Ukrainian people’s favourite street food is ‘Chebureki’, Deep-fried Meat Stuffed Pastry. They say any minced Meat can be used. As I heard that Pork is very popular in Ukraine, I decided to use Pork Mince today, though I though Lamb Mince would be really yummy. Anyway, I tried to make everything simple. I couldn’t find a Ukrainian recipe for the dough, so I just made it up.
The result was AMAZING!!! I loved ‘Chebureki’. My husband loved it, too. It was absolutely delicious. Next time, I would try with Lamb and Spices. Beef and Mushroom would be also good. If you have never eaten ‘Chebureki’, try this recipe. It’s fairly easy.
8 Pieces (4 Servings)
2 cups Bread Flour OR Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Warm Milk OR Warm Water
2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil OR Oil of your choice
Oil for frying
200g Pork Mince *OR Beef, Chicken, Lamb Mince
1 clove Garlic *grated OR finely chopped
1/2 Onion *grated OR VERY finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
*Note: Depending on the type of Meat, you can add Herbs and Spices such as Cumin, Thyme, Oregano, OR etc. You may wish to add some grated Cheese as well.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Warm Milk (OR Water) and Oil, mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding extra Flour if required, until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic food warp and allow it to rest.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Filling Ingredients. If you grate the Onion, add all the liquid as well. The mixture is probably too thick to spread easily. Add some Water and mix well and make the mixture soft. *Note: You may wish to add some whisked Egg instead of Water.
- Turn the dough onto lightly floured surface and divide into 8 even portions. Roll one portion into a ball and cover remaining portions with plastic wrap to stop drying out.
- Roll out the ball of dough into a round about 2mm thin. Thinly spread the Meat mixture over 1/2 of the round, leaving the edges, fold in half, then gently press down to remove air, and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining Dough and Meat mixture.
- Deep-fry ‘Chebureki’ one or two at a time in medium hot Oil until both sides are nicely browned. Transfer to a wire rack OR paper towel. *Note: If Oil is too hot, ‘Chebureki’ get browned too quickly before Meat mixture is cooked.
- Enjoy ‘Chebureki’ hot OR warm.