I used to make these doughnuts with finely grated Carrot only. One day I added some leftover canned crushed Pineapple, which I always add to ‘My Legendary Carrot Cake’, the flavour was improved and I liked it very much. Then I started adding Pineapple. Carrot only version is also very nice. If you use just Carrot, please alter the amount of Flour.
1 Carrot *about 100g, finely grated
3 tablespoons crushed OR finely chopped Pineapple *excess juice removed
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Caster Sugar OR Brown Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Oil OR melted Butter
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
Oil for frying *plus extra for rolling the dough
Icing Sugar for dusting
- Place finely grated Carrot and crushed (OR finely chopped) Pineapple in a mixing bowl. Do not add excess juice from Pineapple as the dough would become too soft.
- Add Sugar, Salt, Cinnamon, Oil (OR Butter) and Egg, and mix to combine. Add Self-Raising Flour and mix to form soft dough. *Note: If the dough is too soft, you can add extra Flour, but do not add too much.
- Place Oil about depth of 5cm in a large saucepan and heat to about 160°C.
- As the dough is very sticky, wet your hands with Oil and form 2-3cm balls and carefully drop them into the oil. Slowly deep-fry doughnuts until puffed and nicely browned all over.
- Transfer the doughnuts to a tray lined with paper towel or a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Dust with Icing Sugar and enjoy.
Leave a Reply