You will need a moderately large and thick pot with a well fitting lid to cook rice. As the rice swells and bubbles a lot, I don’t recommend using a small saucepan.
2 cup (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
450ml Water *about 120% of the volume of the rice
- Wash the rice by stirring it thoroughly in water and drain. Repeat this a couple of times until water flows through clear. Drain the rice and place it in the pot.
- Add an amount of cold water equal to about 120% of the volume of the rice. If possible, let the rice soak in this water for 30 minutes before cooking it.
- With the lid on the pot, cook the rice over a medium heat until the water begins to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the water has mostly gone. Keep the lid on the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and let it stand covered for 10 minutes to allow the rice to keep steaming.
- Remove the lid and loosen the rice gently.